[here is how to pronounce my first name]
I’m a professor at the University of Lausanne and leading the OROG3NY group.
I am interested in the continental lithosphere: its structure, its deformation and the associated physical processes. My principal tools of investigation are geophysical imaging (seismology, gravimetry, drilling) and numerical modelling (themo-mechanical, petrological), including fieldwork.
OROG3NY was a multi-year SNSF project, which then continued over several current research topics:
- DIVE – Drilling the Ivrea-Verbano zonE (Ph. D. Kim Lemke)
- Ivrea geophysical body (Ph. D. Matteo Scarponi)
- Seismo-at-school in Nepal (Ph. D. Shiba Subedi)
- 3D structural mapping with converted waves
My past work focused mainly on orogeny, deformation and phase changes (see Publications for details):
- the Himalaya-Tibet region (crustal and lithospheric structures [projects Hi-CLIMB in Nepal and Tibet, GANSSER in Bhutan], deep lithospheric seismicity, rheology of the India plate, eclogitization of the lower crust);
- the Alpine-Carpathian-Pannonian region (broadband-seismology-array and geodynamics [projects CBP, EASI, AlpArray, PACASE]);
- a numerical approach that does conserve mass during metamorphic phase changes in thermo-mechanical models;
- columnar jointing in igneous rocks (size, composition).
Follow this link.
Abstracts, other papers and reports
Follow this link.
Managed seismic networks
- GANSSER / Bhutan, doi: 10.12686/sed/networks/xa
- EASI, doi: 10.12686/alparray/xt_2014
- AlpArray, doi: 10.12686/alparray/z3_2015
- IvreaArray, doi: 10.5281/zenodo.1038209
- NSSN Nepal School Seismology Network, doi: 10.5281/zenodo.3406345, virtual network _NSSN
- PACASE, doi: 10.7914/SN/ZJ_2019
Evolution of deformation of the Himalayan prism: from imaging to modelling.
École Normale Supérieure – Université Paris-Sud XI, 400 pp., 2007.
Abstract [en/fr/hu]; download from here.
Prize of the Chancellery of Paris Universities 2008 (Aguirre-Basualdo Prize)
Award of the William B. & Elizabeth Behr Agocs Geophysical Research Fund 2008