I’m a doctoral Student, a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship holder at the Institute of Earth Sciences of the University of Lausanne. I recently completed Masters degree in Exploration Geophysics at IPGP, followed by an internship at ENS, France.
I am working on a project ‘Seismo-at-School in Nepal‘ under the supervision of György Hetényi. Nepal lies in the heart of the most active continental seismic zone, the Himalaya and is one of the countries on Earth with the highest seismic risk. Due to the collision of India and Eurasia, Nepal has experienced devastating earthquakes throughout history, claiming lives and causing significant damage. The latest 2015 Gorkha earthquake killed nearly 9,000 people and injured nearly 22,000. It was the worst natural disaster to strike Nepal since the 1934 earthquake. Furthermore, there is a segment which is identified as ‘seismic gap,’ where the last known great earthquake occurred in 1505, and recently scientists from the world argued that the energy is accumulated in that region which is sufficient to produce a great earthquake at any time in future.
The purpose of my Ph.D. project is to evaluate the feasibility by locally testing a bottom-up approach of seismology in schools. With special lectures to students, and by installing low-cost seismometers in schools, we hope to enhance awareness and preparedness of the people, and at the same time collect useful local shaking data.
- Earthquake seismology
- Education and preparedness
- Receiver function
- Crustal Imaging
- Earthquake early warning
- Risk reduction
- 2016 M2 in Exploration Geophysics at IPGP, France
- 2014 M. Sc. in Physics at Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Nov 2016 – May 2017 Receiver function crustal imaging in Western Nepal at ENS, France
- Subedi S, Hetényi G, Vergne J, Bollinger L, Lyon-Caen H, Farra V, Adhikari LB, Gupta R (2018) Imaging the Moho and the Main Himalayan Thrust in Western Nepal with receiver functions. Geophys Res Lett 45:13222-13230. doi:10.1029/2018GL080911
- Hetényi G, Epard JL, Colavitti L, Hirzel AH, Kiss D, Petri B, Scarponi M, Schmalholz SM, Subedi S (2018) Spatial relation of surface faults and crustal seismicity: a first comparison in the region of Switzerland. Acta Geod Geophys 53:439-461. doi:10.1007/s40328-018-0229-9
- Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) Grant, the United Kingdom, 2018
- AGU 100 years Celebration major Grant, USA, 2019
(from most recent to oldest)
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron and P. Denton. The Seismology-at-School in Nepal Project: A Low-Cost Seismic and Educational network, 27th International Union of Geodesy and Geosciences (IUGG) General Assembly, poster presentation, (Montréal), Canada, July 12, 2019.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron and P. Denton. Seismology-at-School in Nepal, seismological and educational aspects, 1st International Workshop on Educational Seismology, oral presentation, (Pokhara), Nepal, April 16-17, 2019.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron and P. Denton. Seismology-at-School in Nepal: a first regional educational and seismic network, 100th American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, poster presentation, (Washington – D.C.), USA, December 14, 2018.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron and P. Denton. Seismology-at-School in Nepal: a first regional educational and seismic network, 16th Swiss Geoscience Meeting, poster presentation, (Bern) Switzerland, December 1, 2018
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron. The “Seismology-at-school in Nepal” project, 33rd HKT workshop, oral session, (Lausanne) Switzerland, September 11, 2018.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron. Low-cost seismic network in Nepal, International Workshop on Gorkha Workshop Memorial day, oral session, (Kathmandu), Nepal, April 27, 2018.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron. Low-cost seismic network in Nepali School, EGU 2018 General Assembly, PICO session, (Vienna) Austria, April 11, 2018.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron. Seismology-at-School in Nepal, Education and Citizen Seismology Discussion Workshop, Short presentation, (London) United Kingdom, February 15-16, 2018.
- S. Subedi, G. Hetényi, A. Sauron. Seismo-at-School in Nepal, 2nd National Conference of The Community for Science Education, Presentation session, (Bucharest) Romania, November 4, 2017.
- Follow-up field trip, 06-28 October 2019, Nepal
- Nepal School Seismology Network Installation, 18 April – 05 June 2019, Nepal
- Higher and Lesser Himalaya visit with a Geological group of University of Lausanne, 31 Oct-03 Nov 2018, Nepal
- Group field visit with HKT 2018 participants, 7-9 September 2018, Western Swiss Alps, Switzerland
- Sites visit and pilot station installation (seismo@school in Nepal), 17 April –2 June 2018, Nepal
- Seismology Field campaign, Nov 2018, Ivrea-Verbano zone, Italy
- GPX Field Trip, October 12-16, 2015, Chambon-la-Foret, France
Website of the program:seismoschoolnp.org