Stylianos Hadjipetrou is a Ph.D. Candidate in the field of “Geostatistics and Spatial Analysis in Engineering and Geosciences” in the Department of Civil Engineering and Geomatics of the Cyprus University of Technology under the supervision of Professor Phaedon Kyriakidis. Stylianos is currently hosted at GAIA Lab premises of the Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics (IDYST) for a 12-month research collaboration as a recipient of Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists for the 2020-2021 Academic Year awarded by the Federal Commission for Scholarships (FCS). He is working under the supervision of Prof. Gregoire Mariethoz on a research project focused on the “Multiple-point Geostatistical Characterization-Modeling of Complex Spatial Patterns using Diverse Data Sources”. He also holds a B.Eng. from the Department of Planning and Regional Development of University of Thessaly (2015), as well as an M.Sc. in “Spatial Analysis and Environmental Management” from the same Department, with honors.
Stylianos’ main research interests include Geoinformatics, Spatial Analysis, and Remote Sensing as well as their applications in geospatial sciences. Through his Ph.D. studies, he has also come to develop a keen interest in geostatistical modeling of geographical variables, along with the relevant applications in engineering and earth and environmental sciences. As a member of the Geospatial Analytics Research Laboratory of the Department of Civil Engineering and Geomatics at Cyprus University of Technology (CUT) and the Geostatistical Algorithms & Image Analysis (GAIA) lab of the Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics (IDYST) of the University of Lausanne, Stylianos is involved in various projects relevant to the fields of geostatistics and spatial analysis. Stylianos utilizes his inter-disciplinary background and well-developed spatial thinking skills to face spatial challenges from multiple points of view.
Stylianos has teaching experience in GIS-related undergraduate courses as a teaching assistant and has also worked in the private sector for more than 2 years as a town planner and GIS Specialist. He is also among the recipients of the Cyprus State Institution (IKY) Scholarship for Ph.D. studies (2017-2020) and a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship (FCS) holder for the academic year 2020-2021. Stylianos is a member of the Scientific Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK) since November 2016.
Keywords: geostatistics, multiple-point statistics, spatial analysis, remote sensing, downscaling.
- Hadjipetrou S., Liodakis S., Sykioti A., Katikas L., Park N-W., Kalogirou S., Akylas E. and Kyriakidis P.: Evaluating the suitability of Sentinel-1 SAR data for offshore wind resource assessment around Cyprus, Renewable Energy, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2021.10.100.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Kyriakidis, P., Kavroudakis, D., Fayad, P., Hadjipetrou S., Leventis G., and Papakonstantinou, A.:Promoting the adoption of agent-based modelling for synergistic interventions and decision-making during pandemic outbreaks, AGILE GIScience Ser., 2, 44,https://doi.org/10.5194/agile-giss-2-44-2021, 2021
- Hadjipetrou S., Liodakis S., Sykioti A., Fayad P., Akylas E., Park N-W., and Kyriakidis P. Preliminary assessment of offshore wind speed around Cyprus based on Sentinel-1 Level 2 OCN data”, Proc. SPIE 11524, Eighth International Conference on Remote Sensing and Geoinformation of the Environment (RSCy2020), 115240O (26 August 2020); https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2571945
- Hadjipetrou S. & Stathakis D. (2019): Monitoring Urbanization Dynamics in Cyprus using Time-Series DMSP/OLS Nightlight Imagery, In: Kyriakidis, P., Hadjimitsis, D., Skarlatos, D. & Mansourian, A. (Eds.), Accepted Short Papers and Posters from the 22nd AGILE Conference on Geo-information Science. Cyprus University of Technology 17-20 June 2019, Limassol, Cyprus.ISBN 978-90-816960-9-8, Publisher: Stichting AGILE.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Abstracts
- Hadjipetrou S., Liodakis S., Sykioti A., Kyriakidis P., Park N-W (2021): Geostatistical Downscaling of offshore wind speed data derivedfrom numerical weather prediction models using higher spatial resolutionsatellite products,13th International Conference on Geostatistics forEnvironmental Applications (geoENV2020), June 18, Parma, Italy.
- Hadjipetrou S., Mariethoz. G. (2021): Sentinel-1 SAR Level-2 OCN Offshore Wind Speed Time-Series Simulation using Multiple-PointStatistics,Spatial Data Science 2020, June 8-11, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Hadjipetrou S., Kyriakidis P. & Mariethoz G. (2020): Geostatistical downscaling of offshore coarse spatial resolution wind speed data using satellite-derived wind information, 18th Swiss Geoscience Meeting, 2020 Zurich (online); https://geoscience-meeting.ch/sgm2020/program/session-program/
University of Lausanne,
Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics (IDYST),
Geopolis, Quartier Mouline
1015 Lausanne, Switzerland