Earth constantly springs ideas and inspirations, where Indonesia is part of it. Indonesia has a complex Geological aspect that resulted in various geomorphological landscapes, which correlates with my interest in quaternary sediment in the fluvial system and geomorphology evolution.
I live in a relatively flat area near a meandering river where it is constantly flooding almost every year in the rainy season. I consider that many aspects can cause flooding, as it is controlled not only by tectonic setting, climate changes but also caused by anthropogenic activities. The natural processes include erosion, weathering, and sedimentation that created unique features and channel movement through time. So, it digs my deepest curiosity to answer future geological conditions by learning in more detail about quaternary sediment, geomorphological evolution, and its relationship with climate change.
Scope of My PhD
My Ph.D. research aims to apply Luminescence dating for defining high-resolution ages of Quaternary sediment and modelling geomorphology evolution in tropical fluvial systems. However, natural bleaching and sunlight exposure will give a challenge in this area. So, I would seek further methods of luminescence dating, especially to tackle these challenges.
I will do my research in Riau Province, Indonesia, which is located near to the equator and comprises four major rivers that constantly flood each year. Flooding happens not only due to the geological setting but also due to climate changes and anthropology activities. I will combine field observations, laboratory analysis, and geostatistical modelling to construct the relationship between tectonic setting, sedimentation, and climate changes that caused geomorphology evolution through time in the meandering fluvial system.
I began my adventure in geology in 2003 when I was in bachelor’s study at the Faculty of Geological Engineering University of Padjadjaran, Indonesia. Then, I continued my study to master degree, and in January 2012, I obtained a Master of Science in Geology from Institute Technology Bandung, Indonesia. My Thesis talked about Facies Sediment analysis and 3D modelling for Subsurface mapping. After that, I became a lecturer in the Geological Engineering Department of Universitas Islam Riau – Indonesia until now. As part of my job, I researched several topics, and hereafter, I become so interested in Quaternary Geomorphology in Fluvial System.
In February 2021, I got the opportunity to start my Ph.D. at the Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics, University of Lausanne (IDYST, UNIL). I’m happy to join ICE Group to develop my Luminescence Dating skills as a method to determine the ages of Quaternary Sediment. Furthermore, I also become part of ALPWISE Group to improve my ideas about Geomorphology Evolution in Tropical Fluvial System. I am eager to learn and enhance my knowledge, work and befriend people from many countries. You can find out more about my research from my ResearchGate profile here.
- Yuskar, Y., Choanji, T., Eka Putra, D. B., Bastira, S. N., Suryadi, A., Sari, D. P., & Harisma. (2020). Modern Analogue of Shaly Sand Reservoir on Coastal Plain in Selat Baru, Bengkalis Island, Indonesia. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 797(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/797/1/012003
- Yuskar, Y., Putra, D.B.E., Revanda, M., (2018). Quarternary Sediment Characteristics of Floodplain area: Study Case at Kampar River, Rumbio Area and Surroundings, Riau Province. J. Geosci. Eng. Environ. Technol. 3, 63. doi:10.24273/jgeet.2018.3.1.1226
- Yuskar, Y., Choanji, T., Ep, D.B., Suryadi, A., 2017a. Coastal Deposit Characteristic Influenced by Terrestrial Organic Matter and Its Sedimentary Structure at Jangkang Beach , Bengkalis District , Riau Province — Indonesia, in: Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2018. Springer Singapore, pp. 909–916. doi:10.1007/978-981-10-8471-3
- Yuskar, Y., Choanji, T., 2016. Sedimen Deposit of Floodplain Formation Resulting From Lateral Accretion Surfaces On Tropical Area : Study Case At, in: The 7th Indonesia Japan Joint Scientific Symposium 2016.
- Yuskar, Y., Choanji, T., 2017. Uniqueness Deposit of Sediment on Floodplain Resulting From Lateral Accretion on Tropical Area : Study Case at Kampar River , Indonesia. J. Geosci. Eng. Environ. Technol. 2, 14–19. doi:10.24273/jgeet.2017.2.1.12
- Yuskar, Y., Choanji, T., Faiez, Z., Bagus, D., Putra, E., 2018. Correlation of Surface and Subsurface Geological Data Approach to Determine Depositional Facies of Bekasap Formation in Sungai Kuning, Rokan Hulu Riau – Indonesia, in: Internasional Conference 3rd CELSciTECH UMRI.
- Bagus Eka Putra, D., Sapari Dwi Hadian, M., Yoseph CSS Syah Alam, B., Yuskar, Y., Zuhairi Wan Yaacob, W., Datta, B., & Puspa Dwi Harnum, W. (2020). Geochemistry of groundwater and saltwater intrusion in a coastal region of an island in Malacca Strait, Indonesia. Environmental Engineering Research, 26(2), 200006–0. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2020.006
- Zulhikmah, Yuskar, Y., Putra, P. S., Nugroho, S. H., & Choanji, T. (2020). Characteristics of Quaternary Deep Sea Sediment in the Sumba Strait based on Grain Size and LoI (Lost on ignition Analysis). IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 797(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/797/1/012004
- Revanda, M., Yuskar, Y., Bagus, D., & Putra, E. (2019). Quartenary Sediment Facies Distribution in Meandering River Environment : Study Case at The Kampar River , Rumbio Area and Surroundings , Riau Province. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1363 (2019. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1363/1/012038
- SDilla, P., Yuskar, Y., Graha, S., Putra, D. B. E., & Masdriyanto, S. (2018). Biostratigraphy Analysis in Determining The Age and Depositional Environment at Telisa Formation, Desa Tabing Kampar, Riau. Prosiding CELSciTech, 3, 17–22.
- Yuskar, Y., Putra, D.B.E., Suryadi, A., Choanji, T., Cahyaningsih, C., 2017. Structural Geology Analysis In A Disaster-Prone Of Slope Failure, Merangin Village, Kuok District, Kampar Regency, Riau Province. J. Geosci. Eng. Environ. Technol. 2, 249–254.
- Yuskar, Y., Harisma, H., Choanji, T., 2017. Karstifikasi dan Pola Struktur Kuarter Berdasarkan Pemetaan Lapangan dan Citra SRTM Pada Formasi Wapulaka, Pasar Wajo, Buton, Sulawesi Tenggara. J. Earth Energy Eng. 6, 11–29.
- Choanji, T., Yuskar, Y., Putra, D. B. E., Cahyaningsih, C., Suryadi, A., & Antoni, S. (2019). Clustering slope stability using DEM lineament extraction and rock mass rating in Pangkalan Koto Baru,West Sumatra, Indonesia. International Journal of GEOMATE, 17(60). https://doi.org/10.21660/2019.60.ICEE21
- Putra, D.B.E., Yuskar, Y., Kausarian, H., Putranto, A., Aldila, Hadian, M.S.D., Yacoob, W.Z., 2018. Monitoring Of Saltwater Intrusion Zone In Shallow Aquifers At Selat Baru, Bengkalis-Indonesia, in: IAH Congress 45th.
- Putra, D.B.E, Yuskar, Y., Wan, W.Z., Rusli, M., Efendri, M.I., Jannah, M., Khairani, S., Sapari, M., Hadian, D., Riau, U.I., Padjadjaran, U., 2018. Using Physico – Chemical Parameters To Assess The Groundwater Quality In Rumbio , Kampar , Indonesia, in: IAH Congress 45th.
- Choanji, T., Rita, N., Yuskar, Y., Pradana, A., 2018a. Analog Study of Fluid Flow on Deformation Band at Petani Formation, Riau , Indonesia, in: IJCAET & ISAMPE 2017. pp. 1–6.
- Putra, D.B.E., Yuskar, Y., Hadian, M.S.D., 2017b. Hydrogeology Assessment Using Physical Parameter in Bengkalis Riau. Proc. 2nd Join Conf. Utsunomiya Univ. Univ. Padjadjaran 274–279.
- Putra, D.B.E., Yuskar, Y., 2016. Pemetaan Airtanah Dangkal Dan Analisis Intrusi Air Laut, in: Seminar Nasional Ke-3 Fakultas Teknik Geologi Universitas Padjadjaran.
- Yuskar, Y., 2016. Geo-tourism Potential of Sand Bars and Oxbow lake at Buluh. J. Geosci. Eng. Environ. Technol. 1, 59–62.
- Yuskar, Y., 2014b. Interpretasi Fasies Pengendapan Formasi Tondo, Pulau Buton, Sulawesi Tenggara Berdasarkan Data Pemetaan Geologi dan Potensinya Sebagai Batuan Reservoir Minyakbumi. J. Earth Energy Eng. 3, 45–54.
University of Lausanne
Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics
Géopolis, office 4413
1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
+41 (0)21 692 35 43