Metadata Policy for information describing items in the repository
1. Anyone may access the metadata free of charge.
2. The metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for not-for-profit purposes provided the OAI Identifier or a link to the original metadata record are given.
Data Policy for full-text and other full data items
1. Access to some or all full items is controlled.
2. Copies of full items generally can be:
- (a) reproduced, and displayed or performed
- (b) for personal research or study, educational, or not-for-profit purposes without prior permission or charge.
- (a) the authors, title and full bibliographic details are given
- (b) a hyperlink and/or URL are given for the original metadata page
- (c) the content is not changed in any way
3. Full items must not be harvested by robots except transiently for full-text indexing or citation analysis
4. Full items must not be sold commercially in any format or medium without formal permission of the copyright holders.
5. This repository is not the publisher; it is merely the online archive.
6. Mention of SERVAL is appreciated but not mandatory.
Content Policy for types of document & data set held
1. This is an institutional or departmental repository.
2. No content policy defined.
Submission Policy concerning depositors, quality & copyright
1. Items may only be deposited by accredited members, and academic staff of the institution, or their delegated agents.
2. Authors may only submit their own work for archiving.
3. The administrator only vets items for the eligibility of authors/depositors, valid layout & format, and the exclusion of spam
4. The validity and authenticity of the content of submissions is the sole responsibility of the depositor.
5. Items can be deposited at any time, but will not be made publicly visible until any publishers’ or funders’ embargo period has expired.
6. Any copyright violations are entirely the responsibility of the authors/depositors.
7. If SERVAL receives proof of copyright violation, the relevant item will be removed immediately.
1. Items will be retained indefinitely.
2. SERVAL will try to ensure continued readability and accessibility.
3. SERVAL regularly backs up its files according to current best practice.
4. Items may be removed at the request of the author/copyright holder, but this is strongly discouraged.
5. Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:
- (a) Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
- (b) Legal requirements and proven violations
- (c) National Security
- (d) Upon motivated request of the author
6. Withdrawn items are not deleted per se, but are removed from public view.
7. Withdrawn items’ identifiers/URLs are retained indefinitely.
8. URLs will continue to point to ‘tombstone’ citations, to avoid broken links and to retain item histories.
9. No closure policy defined.
The positions and opinions expressed in the article are those of the authors / depositaries and can not be attributed to the University of Lausanne. The metadata as well as the keywords contained in the article were freely chosen by the authors / depositaries. The University of Lausanne disclaims all liability and gives no guarantee as to the accuracy, completeness or conformity of the information contained in the article and the University of Lausanne can not be held liable for any infringement Intellectual property rights of third parties or in the event of errors, omissions or non-conformity of the information contained in the article and their interpretation.
References and links to other websites
References and links to other websites are informative only and the content, form and services offered by such websites are the sole responsibility of their authors. Access to such websites and their use is at the risk of those who consult them.
Article 13 of the Federal Constitution of the Swiss Confederation and the law of the canton of Vaud on data protection and its implementing regulations state that every person has a right to the protection of privacy, and to protection from the misuse of personal and sensitive data concerning them. The University of Lausanne strictly observes these provisions.
Personal data is processed confidentially and is neither sold nor transmitted to third parties without the prior approval of the individual concerned.
No personal data is stored when accessing the home page. The University of Lausanne web server records only statistical data for non-personal use, by means of cookies, to analyse the perceived quality of its offer (files, logs). It uses Google Analytics to analyse the website’s traffic and improve its content. Consultational data is not therefore associated with personal data. You can find more information concerning the rules of confidentiality of this system on the Google Analytics website.
These rules do not apply however where contact is expressly made.
Email addresses or other data allowing individuals to be identified are under no circumstances transmitted to entities outside the University of Lausanne without the prior approval of those concerned.
Users are reminded that all actions performed on an entry (creation and modification) in SERVAL are recorded for technical and ethical reasons. The only personal data recorded is the UNIL identifier of the person who performed these actions.
Personal data are processed in accordance with data protection legislation and are not disclosed to third parties. These data are only accessible to SERVAL staff members and are deleted when the relevant notice is deleted.
Any user may ask the controller for access to his personal data by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org