The summer school “Wine, Terroir, Tourism” introduces participants to the culture of wine and winemaking and explores the different synergies that exist with the field of tourism. Based at the University of Lausanne’s Sion campus, in the heart of the Valais winemaking region, it will use local case studies to illustrate the wider global issue of linking the winemaking and tourism industries. Details on the 2017 Program are available here.
- Understanding of wine production and consumption in their cultural and historical contexts
- Understanding of basic winemaking processes and the functional structure of wine businesses
- Understanding of basic principles of tourism as a social practice
- Understanding of the principles, means and objectives of wine tourism
- Ability to discuss and critique the notion of “terroir”
- Ability to use sensory analysis methods to assess basic features of wine quality
- Ability to develop a research project on “Wine, Terroir, Tourism”
Please note that objectives might be subject to change for the 2018 edition of the summer school.
The 2018 fees will be announced by the end of the year.
Discover the UNIL campus in Sion, Valais
The summer school in Wine, Terroir & Tourism will be held in the heart of one of the most important vineyards in Switzerland. Surrounded by the Swiss Alps, you will be staying in the charming medieval city of Sion, capital of the canton of Valais, with about 30,000 inhabitants, which you can explore on foot. The hostel is located a minute away from Sion railway station, which offers easy access to all main railway stations and airports in Switzerland. July is also festival season in Sion, with free concerts every Friday and Saturday, a weekly market on Friday and a Sound and Lights show that illuminates the two castles overlooking the city.
The address of the institute is: IUKB, Chemin de l’Institut 18, 1967 Bramois/Sion, Suisse
To be announced by the end of the year