Data included in this table are regularly updated.
|Country||1.0. Total number of prisoners (including pre-trial detainees) 01.01.2015||2.0. Total capacity of penal institutions 01.01.2015||Prison density per 100 places, 01.01.2015||Prison Population Rate per 100,000 inhabitants, 01.01.2015||1.0. Total number of prisoners (including pre-trial detainees) 01.01.2016||2.0. Total capacity of penal institutions 01.01.2016||Prison Population Rate per 100,000 inhabitants, 01.01.2016||Prison density per 100 places, 01.01.2016|
|Albania||5 811||4 537||128.1||200.9||6 288||5 484||114.7|
|Armenia||3 880||4 576||84.8||4 873||4 584||84.5|
|Austria||8 692||8 760||93.5||101.3||8 658||8 814||92.5|
|Belgium||13 299||10 135||131.1||118.1||12 799||9 962||111.1|
|BH: BiH (Total)|
|BH: BiH (state level)|
|BH: Fed. BiH|
|BH: Rep. Srpska||940||1404||67.0||877||1 459||60.1|
|Croatia||3 763||4 022||93.6||89.1||3 341||4 022||83.1|
|Czech Republic||18 658||20 020||93.2||177.0||20 866||20 919||99.7|
|Denmark||3 578||3 925||91.2||90.7||3 314||3 576||92.7|
|Estonia||2 921||3 034||96.3||222.4||2 681||2 930||91.5|
|Finland||2 974||3 083||91.4||54.4||3 002||3 079||91.0 |
|France||66 678||58 561||113.9|
|Georgia||10 372||21 678||47.8|
|Germany||61 872||75 793||81.6||76.2|
|Greece||11 798||9 886||119.3||108.7|
|Ireland||3 546||4 126||85.9||76.6||3 603||4 116||87.5|
|Italy||53 623||49 635||108.0||88.2|
|Latvia||4 745||5 852||81.1||238.9||4 409||5 852||75.3|
|Lithuania||8 636||9 399||91.9||295.6||7 355||9 299||79.1|
|Montenegro||1 193||1 100||108.5||191.8||1 121||1 350||83.0|
|Netherlands||9 018||11 248||80.2|
|Norway||3 630||3 800||95.5||70.3||3 679||4 097||90.2|
|Poland||77 872||87 661||88.8||204.9|
|Romania||30 156||28 901||104.3||151.8||28 334||27 473||103.1|
|Serbia||10 288||9 340||110.1||144.6||10 067||9 459||106.4|
|Slovak Republic||10 020||11 318||88.5||184.8||9 913||11 188||88.6|
|Slovenia||1 490||1 322||112.7||72.2||1 393||1322||105.4|
|Spain: Total||65 017||77 209||84.2||143.1||61 614||76 122||80.9|
|Spain: State Adm.||55 723||65 980||84.5||52 804||65 091||81.2|
|Spain: Catalonia||9 294||11 229||82.8||8 810||11 031||79.9|
|Sweden||5 400||6 495||83.1||55.4||5 245||6 228||84.2|
|Switzerland||6 923||7 235||95.7||84.0|
|the FYRO Macedonia||3 459||2 531||136.7||167.2||3 427||2 519||136.0|
|Turkey||158 537||163 249||97.1||204.0|
|Ukraine||73 431||140 419||52.3|
|UK: England and Wales||84 691||88 116||96.1||84 968||88 116||96.4|
|UK: Northern Ireland||1 736||1 966||88.3||1 513||1 841||82.2|
The stock includes as well persons who are not held in prisons (i.e. persons under Electronic Monitoring). The number of inmates held in prisons is 8,188. Therefore the 504 persons not held in prisons were excluded from the calculation of the prison density per 100 places.
The stock includes as well persons who are not held in prisons (i.e. persons under Electronic Monitoring). The number of inmates held in prisons is 8,381. Therefore the 277persons not held in prisons were excluded from the calculation of the prison density per 100 places.
The figures are on the 5th January 2015
1. In the total stock are also included inmates persons held in the psychiatric institution under the authority of prison administration, illegal aliens detained for administrative reasons and persons under electronic surveillance (1,867 SE). Therefore the 1,867 persons not held in prisons were excluded from the calculation of the prison density per 100 places.
Are excluded inmates who were in leave permits at that time.
Young offenders are no longer included in the total number of inmates, as they are no longer under the jurisdiction of the Public Federal Justice System, since the 1st January 2015.
2. In the total capacity are not included hospital units inside penal institutions. No specific capacity is foreseen for Electronic Monitoring inside penal institutions.
The figures are on the 4th January 2016
In the total stock are also included persons held in the psychiatric institution under the authority of prison administration, illegal aliens detained for administrative reasons and persons under electronic surveillance (1,728 SE). Are excluded inmates who were in leave permits at that time. Inmates held in Federal institutions for young offenders are no longer included in the total number of inmates as they are no longer under the jurisdiction of the Federal Public Service Justice
- Stock figure is on 31st December 2014.
- Total capacity includes: 1647 places on pre-trial institutions, 2127 places on institutions designed to serve a sentence, 126 places on prison hospitals and 122 places on institutions for juvenile offenders.
- Stock figure is on 31st December 2015.
- Total capacity includes 51 places on institutions for juvenile offenders.
For 2015: In the stock are included 157 prisoners under supervised probationary freedom. Therefore these 157 persons were excluded from the calculation of the prison density per 100 places.
For 2016: In the stock are included 201 prisoners under supervised probationary freedom. Therefore these 201persons were excluded from the calculation of the prison density per 100 places.
Data relate to 30th November 2014 instead of 1st January 2015.
Prison Population only.
For 2015: Stock and capacity data relate to 31st December 2014 instead of 1st January 2015.
- The figure concern the general capacity of the whole prison system. As a matter of fact, it is necessary to substract from that figure around 4,000 places temporarily unavailable due to ongoing building works or other types of restructuring works or reorganization.
- In Italy, the criteria adopted to calculate the surface to be put at the disposal of each inmate is the same criteria adopted for civilian housing, and namely: 9 square meters per each prisoner in a single cell, to which are added 5 further square meters per each further prisoner in multiple cells. (Ex: 1 inmate= 9 square meters; 2 inmates= 9+5 = 14 square meters; 3 inmates: 9+5+5 = 19 square meters, and so on).
- The prison density in the Table was calculated on the basis of usable capacity (total capacity – 4000 temporarily unavailable places = 43,709). If calculating on the total capacity, the density would have been 131.1 inmates/100 places.
- The total operative capacity of the Catalan prisons is defined as the number of places existing in the cells of residential modules in each of the prisons.
- The number of places per cell varies depending on the structure, antiquity and classification of centers so that: The centers built after 1989 have two places per cell The centers built in previous dates have three places per cell The Open Centers and Sections have 4 or 6 beds per room.
Day of reference: 4th september 2014.
the FYRO Macedonia
Stock: Are included 22 juveniles of the House of Correction (part of the penal institutions)
Capacity: Are included 43 places of House of Correction for juvenile offenders (part of the penal institutions).
1. Figures on stock don’t not include detainees and pre-trial detainees held in penitentiary estanlishments on non-conrolled territory of Ukraine (Donesk and Lugansk Regions) .
2. Figures on the total capacity of penitentiary institutions include the capacity of penitentiary establishments on non-conrolled territory of Ukraine (Donesk and Lugansk Regions) .
UK: England and Wales
- The stock figure refers to the 31st December 2014. This overall figure is published in Prison Population table, Offender Management Statistics Quarterly (https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/offender-management-statistics-quarterly-april-to-june-2015).
- Total Useable Operational Capacity at 2nd January 2014
UK: Northern Ireland