Department of Clinical Neuroscience, CHUV
Avenue Pierre Decker 5
CH-1011. Lausanne , Switzerland
I studied bio-engineering at the Federal Institute of Technology of Lausanne (EPFL, Switzerland). I specialized in neuro-engineering and obtained my PhD from the doctoral school of Neuroscience at EPFL. During my thesis, I used high resolution fMRI to map and study body representations in primary sensorimotor areas. In particular, I was interested in the plasticity of body representations in amputees and potential applications in the field of neuroprosthetics. My current research focuses on studying plasticity in multisensory body representation, as well as their link to cognitive functions and subjective experience.
- Mehring*, Akselrod*, L. Bashford, M. Mace, H. Choi, M. Blüher, A-S. Buschhoff et al. “Augmented manipulation ability in humans with six-fingered hands.” Nature communications 10, no. 1 (2019): 2401.
- Palix J, Akselrod M, Cungi C, Giuliani F, Favrod J. (2017) Changes in heart-rate variability recorded in natural situation with t-shirt integrated sensors and level of observed behavioral excitation: a pilot study of patients with intellectual disabilities and psychiatric disorders. Frontiers in Psychiatry, vol. 8, p. 4
- Akselrod M, Martuzzi R, Serino A, van der Zwaag W, Gassert R, Blanke O. (2017) Anatomical and functional properties of the foot and leg representations in areas 3b, 1 and 2 of primary somatosensory cortex in humans: a 7T fMRI study, Neuroimage, 159:473-487
- Serino A*, Akselrod M*, Salomon R, Martuzzi R, Blefari ML, Canzoneri E, Rognini G, van der Zwaag W, Iakova M, Luthi F, Amoresano A, Kuiken T, Blanke O. (2017) Upper limb cortical maps in amputees with targeted muscle and sensory reinnervation: a 7T fMRI study, Brain, 140(11):2993-3011. (* these authors contributed equally to the study)
- Akselrod M, Herzog MH, Ogmen H. (2014) Tracing path-guided apparent motion in human primary visual cortex V1, Sci. Rep., vol. 4, p. 6063
- Favrod J, Brana A, Gavillet A, Akselrod M, Nguyen A, Palix J (2014) [Training to cope with workplace stress for people with mild intellectual disability: a pilot study] J. Thérapie Comport. Cogn., vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 132–141