Each provider proposes different although overlapping sets of rodent models (wild type strains, strains with gene deletions (spontaneous or induced, diet treatments), in various research fields. Therefore all options should be considered and the choice of supplier may vary depending on the project.
- The Jackson laboratory: JAX ® mice are the most published and well characterized mouse models in the world (wild type, and mutants), and include the only fully sequenced strain, C57BL/6J.
- Charles River Laboratories France (see their website). Provides many research rodent models. Supplies several JAX lines to Europe, including the C57BL/6J. Also provides services such as surgical procedures, genetic testing, colony management services, etc.
- Harlan: (see their website). Provides many research rodent models. Also provides services such as surgical procedures, genetic testing, etc. Provider of research diets.
- Janvier Labs (see their website). Provider of research rodent models. Supplies the strain C57BL/6JRj (not the JAX strain). Exclusive distributor for Europe of the Sperm Cryo Kit from Jackson Laboratory, for cryoconservation of mouse strains.
- Infrafrontier is a non profit European project (see their website) that provides numerous useful resources and services to the Research community:
- The European Mutant Mouse Archive (EMMA) : Repository for archiving (via cryopreservation) and distribution of over 3000 mouse knockout lines. Researchers can either purchase lines for their own research or donate their lines for cryoconservation.
- Mouse production from mutant ES cell lines, free service for European researchers.
- EMMA Axenic (germ-free) mice, free service for European researchers.