Sightseeing in Lausanne and surroundings
The city and the surrounding region offer many opportunities for cultural sightseeing and leisure activities.
Below is a selection of the main sites, monuments, museums and places to visit.
Olympic museum: Lausanne is the Olympic capital and its museum, located at the lakeside, is one of the must-sees of the city. More information here.
Cathedral: the Cathedral of Notre Dame of Lausanne, founded in the 12th Century, is a centrepiece of the Gothic architectural style and offers a breathtaking view of the city. More information here.
- Art Brut Collection: this fascinating museum is famous, on a European and even international level, for its very non-conventional works. More information here.
- Beaches and terraces at Lake Geneva (Lac Léman): during the Summer, the favourite activity of the inhabitants of Lausanne is spending time by the lake or swimming in its waters. In July, the weather is usually very pleasant (between 23° and 30° Celsius) and the water is not very cold.
Chillon Castle: : located in a beautiful lakeside setting, this thousand-year-old castle is one of the most visited monuments of Switzerland. More information here.
- Lavaux: this region near Lausanne consists of 830 hectares terraced vineyards stretching for 30 kilometres. A UNESCO World Herritage Sites, it has one of the finest views in Switzerland. More information here.
You are very lucky to be in Lausanne during two important festivals of the region.
- Festival de la Cité de Lausanne: every inhabitant of Lausanne is looking forward to seeing the city animated with this art festival. If you are interested in dance, music or theater, you will enjoy this free festival taking place in different parts of the city. More information here.
- Montreux Jazz Festival: one of the most famous festivals in the world, make sure to book tickets or drop by some of the free concerts in Montreux. More information here.
Many other suggestions of activities can be found on the following websites:
Below is a map displaying different sites to visit in Lausanne. Click top right hand corner to expand map. Click top left hand corner of map for the list of sites.