- 10.2014 – present: Professor Assistant, Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics, University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 07.2014 – 10.2014: Senior Scientist, Department of Earth Sciences, ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
- 07.2011 – 06.2014: Senior Lecturer, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of New South Wales, Australia.
- 10.2010 – 06.2011: Research Fellow, School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of New South Wales, Australia.
- 10.2009 – 09.2010: Postdoctoral researcher, Energy Resources Engineering department, Stanford University, USA.
- 10.2006 – 08.2009: PhD student and research assistant, Centre of Hydrogeology, University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland.
- 2009: Ph.D. Hydrogeology, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland.
Thesis title: Geological stochastic imaging for aquifer characterization.
- 2006: Postgraduate Hydrogeologist (equivalent MAS), University of Neuchatel, Switzerland.
- 2003: M.Sc. Anthropology, Geology and French, University of Neuchatel, Switzerland.
Awards and honors
- 2018: Distinguished Lecturer of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences for year 2018.
- 2012-2016: Keynote presentations at 6 international conferences.
- 2013: Vistelius Research Award, International Association for Mathematical Geosciences.
- 2012: Featured researcher, National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training.
- 2011: Best Paper Award, 1st Conference on Spatial Statistics 2011, Enschede, The Netherlands.
- 2008: Swiss National Science Foundation, Young Researcher Fellowship.
- 2006: Postgraduate hydrogeologist, head of the list.
- 2003: M.Sc. Graduated with distinction.
- 2017: A state of the art UAV system for hyperspectral, thermal and LIDAR mapping. CHF 100’000. Swiss National Science Foundation (206021_170753). R’Equip project. Co-applicant.
- 2016-2019: Extracting new information from old satellite imagery by using n->m colorization. CHF 193’918. Swiss National Science Foundation (200021_162882). Division II project. Main applicant.
- 2016-2019: Integrating spatial predictions of vegetation, soils, geomorphology and hydrology for improved assessment of ecosystem services under climate change. CHF 752’644. Swiss National Science Foundation (CR23I2_162754). Interdisciplinary project. Co-applicant.
- 2016: Herbette Foundation grant for inviting a visiting scholar to the University of Lausanne: Prof. Mohammad J. Abdollahifard, to work on topics of optimization-based approaches for interpolation and inverse problem. CHF 14’400. Main applicant.
- 2015-2018: Fusing multiple sources of remote sensing data using textural information: high-resolution, high-frequency monitoring in alpine environments. CHF 200’408. Swiss National Science Foundation (200021_159756). Division II project. Main applicant.
- 2013-2014: Data-Centric Groundwater Modelling. A$167’004. Project funded by NICTA (National Information and Communication Technology Australia). Main applicant.
- 2012: University of New South Wales Equipment grant, The use of 3D printers for physical modeling of hydrological processes. AUD 32’000. Main applicant.
- 2011: University of New South Wales Equipment grant, Upgrade of Water Research Laboratory well tank for study of aquifer heterogeneity. AUD 27’182. Main applicant.
- 2011-2014: National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training (NCGRT), Australian Research Council (ARC). Chief investigator in Subprogram 1A: Linking Geological and Hydrogeological Processes. AUD 250’000.
- 2011-2014: Swiss National Science Foundation (200021_134614/1). Division II project. Stochastic simulation of climatic data with the Direct Sampling method. CHF 169’680. Co-author of the proposal and partner investigator.
- 2011-2013: Swiss National Science Foundation (CRSI22_132249/1). Sinergia project. Integrated methods for stochastic ensemble aquifer modeling (ENSEMBLE, www.ensemble-modeling.org). CHF 926’184. Co-author of the proposal and partner investigator.
- 2009-2010: Swiss National Science Foundation (PBNEP2-124334). Young researcher fellowship. Developing and applying a stochastic methodology for aquifer characterization. CHF 82’645, backed by a US$ 10’000 stipend from Stanford University. Author of the proposal and chief investigator.
- 2017 – now: University of Lausanne: Géographie: milieu, espace, territoire. 18 hours of lectures/year, 150+ undergraduate students.
- 2017: University of Copenhagen: Introduction to the theory and practice of Multiple-Point Statistics, International PhD course (4 days intensive course).
- 2015 – now: University of Lausanne: Remote Sensing of Earth Systems. 32 hours of lectures/year, 30 postgraduate students.
- 2015 – now: University of Lausanne: Télédétection / Remote Sensing. 84 hours of lectures/year, 120 undergraduate students.
- 2014: ETH Zürich: Hydrogeologie und Quartärgeologie. 14 hours of lecture, 30 undergraduate students.
- 2014: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology: Crash-course on multiple-point geostatistics (one day).
- 2012 – 2013: University of New South Wales: Surface Water Hydrology (CVEN9610). 48 hours of lecture/year, 40 postgraduate students. Main course coordinator.
- 2011 – 2013: University of New South Wales: Water Resources Modeling (CVEN4501/CVEN9612). 32 hours of lecture/year, 40 postgraduate students. Main course coordinator.
- 2012 – 2013: University of New South Wales: Water Resources Engineering (CVEN3501). 30 hours of lecture/year, 450 undergraduate students.
- 2012 – 2013: University of New South Wales: Special topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering: Data Mining, inference and Prediction (CVEN9901). 12 hours of lecture/year, 10 doctoral students.
- 2012 – 2013: University of New South Wales: Urban Hydrology and Stormwater Management (CVEN9611). 4 hours of lecture/year, 20 postgraduate students.
- 2011: University of New South Wales: Geological modeling and geostatistics (GEOS9634). 20 hours of lecture, 20 postgraduate students.
- 2011: University of New South Wales: Civil Engineering Practice (CVEN3031). 1 hour of lecture, 300 undergraduate students.
- 2011 – 2012: University of New South Wales: Fundamentals of Geology – Introduction to Hydrogeology (GEOS1111, P. Lennox). 2 hours of lecture/yeas, 200 undergraduate students.
- 2010: Stanford University: Geostatistics for Spatial Phenomena (GES240, A. Journel). 4 hours of lecture, 20 postgraduate students.
- 2009: University of Neuchatel: Sedimentology, practical classes (A. Drijska). 4 hours, 20 undergraduate students.
- 2007 – 2009: University of Neuchatel: Hydrogeology field trips. 1 week every year, 20-30 postgraduate students
- 2007 – 2009: University of Neuchatel: Lectures and practical classes in reservoir modeling (P. Renard). 4 hours yearly, 20-30 postgraduate students.
- 2007 – 2008: University of Neuchatel: Pumping tests, practical classes (P. Renard). 4 hours yearly, 20-30 postgraduate students.
- 2016 – present: Co-Editor-in-Chief for the journal Computers & Geosciences.
- 2015 – present: Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Spatial Statistics.
- 2013 – 2016: Associate editor for the journal Hydrogeology Journal.
- 2014 – 2016: Associate editor for the journal Groundwater.
- 2013 – 2014: Joint editor for two special issues of the journal Mathematical Geosciences.
Reviewer for the journals:
Water Resources Research, Mathematical Geosciences, Remote Sensing of environment, Journal of Hydrology, Computers & Geosciences, Ground Water, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, Hydrogeology Journal, Environmental Modelling & Software, Advances in Water Resources, Quaternary Science Reviews, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Environmental Science & Technology, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, Spatial Statistics, International Journal of Coal Geology, ICE Water Management, Natural Resources Research, Bulletin of Canadian Petroleum Geology, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, WIRES Water, AGU books, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing.
Organization of conferences
- 2016: Member of scientific committee and session chair, Xth International Geostatistics Congress, Valencia, Spain, September 5-9, 2016.
- 2016: Member of scientific committee, 11th GeoENV Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, July 6-8, 2016.
- 2015: Session chair (“Global Change”), Spatial Statistics Conference, Avignon, France, 9-12 June 2015.
- 2014: Member of the scientific committee, Xth geoENV conference, Paris, 9-11 July 2014.
- 2012: Member of the scientific committee, IXth geoENV conference on geostatistics for environmental applications, Valencia, Spain, 19-21 September 2012.
- 2012: Session chair, the 34th International Geological Congress, Brisbane, Australia, 5-10 August 2012.
- 2012: Session chair (2 sessions), The 9th International Geostatistics Congress, Oslo, Norway, 11–15 June 2012.
- 2010: Session chair, IAHR International Groundwater Symposium, Valencia, Spain, 22 – 24 September 2010.