In accordance with the ‘strong sustainability’ targets decided by the University of Lausanne, we wish to make ESEB 2015 a sustainable event, lowering all environmental costs as much as feasible. For a big conference like ESEB, it means mainly acting at the levels of:
- Minimizing travel impacts to and within the conference venue
- Ensuring sustainable food (catering), and particularly encouraging vegetarian meals
- Minimizing waste (e.g. plastic cups and plates, printed paper, etc.) and for instance through providing the conference program digitally on smartphones, tablets and laptops.
- Providing video conference support
To be successful, this objective requires the personal involvement of every single participant, i.e. your strong involvement! As biologists, and thus scientists well informed about environmental issues, we consider that it is especially our responsibility to show a responsible behavior and encourage others to follow us.
Among actions we have taken so far and for which we need your collaboration:
- You will be served local food, in non-disposable dishes.
- No bottled beverages for lunches: tap water is safe and excellent and water fountains are found in all campus restaurants.
- Plastic flasks will be offered to encourage participants to drink tap water, rather than bottled beverages.
- Beers and other beverages at the Conference bar will be served in reusable plastic cups (CHF 2.- deposit)
- We had conference bags made of recycled PVC billboards by an artisanal South-African manufacture, E’yako Green. If you don’t need it after the conference, you will be able to leave it to be recycled for another opportunity.
- The printed copy of the Conference booklet will be kept a brief as possible. More extensive information will be provided online.
- No pens or notepads will be furnished in Conference bags; if you need some, they will be available at the reception desk. Reduce your paper consumption as much as you can!
- Return any conference item not needed anymore (lanyards, badges, booklets, bags, …) in boxes that will be disposed near the information and registration desks.
- Use the recycling containers disposed across the campus, in particular to separate paper, plastic bottles (PET) and aluminum.
- We encourage you to favor public transportations, and especially trains and buses, to reach the conference place; for those flying, limit your transit; avoid using taxis or coming by car.
- We plan to offer part of the benefits made from the meeting (if any…) to an NGO active in reforestation and education projects in Brazil.
Thank you in advance for helping us reduce the overall footprint of this conference!!