In accordance with the ‘strong sustainability’ targets decided by the University of Lausanne, we wish to make Biology’16 a sustainable event, lowering all environmental costs as much as feasible. We aim in particular at :
- Minimizing travel impacts to and within the conference venue
- Ensuring sustainable food (catering), and particularly encouraging vegetarian meals
- Minimizing waste (e.g. plastic cups and plates, printed paper, etc.) and for instance through providing the conference program digitally on smartphones, tablets and laptops.
To be successful, this objective requires the personal involvement of every single participant, i.e. your strong involvement! As biologists, and thus scientists well informed about environmental issues, we consider that it is especially our responsibility to show a responsible behavior and encourage others to follow us.
Among actions we have taken so far and for which we need your collaboration:
- You will be served local food, in non-disposable dishes
- No bottled beverages for lunches: tap water is safe and excellent and water fountains are found in all campus restaurants
- Return any conference item not needed anymore (badges, bags, …) in the boxes that will be disposed near the information and registration desks
- The printed copy of the Conference booklet will be kept as brief as possible. More extensive information will be provided online. Reduce your paper consumption as much as you can!
- No pens or notepads will be furnished; if you need some, they will be available at the reception desk
- You will be able to give back your badges and lanyards when leaving the Congress, for these to be recycled
- We encourage you to favour public transportations, and especially trains and buses, to reach the conference place
- Use the recycling containers disposed across the campus, in particular to separate paper, plastic bottles (PET) and aluminium